Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Imagine: 25 Years Later

Tomorrow marks the 25th anniversary of the assassination of John Lennon, one of those defining moments in history where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing.

I was all of age 11 living in Wilmington, CA. I had just stepped outside to bring in our pet parakeet when an CBS News Special interrupted the regulrarly scheduled programming.

John Lennon, age 40, has been shot and killed by a deranged fan, Mark David Chapman, after having the former Beatle sign an album.

The Beatles had already made an impact on my life with my brother checking out albums from the library, friends playing their copies endlessly. When the news came across, I was shocked. I think I cried a little.

Every rock station in town began their own tributes. KLOS and KMET began playing Beatles and Lennon songs. Subdued DJs would occasionally remind the listeners of what had just happened. And suddenly Lennon's "Imagine" took on a whole new meaning.

Lennon's "Beautiful Boy" means more to me now than it ever did shortly after Anthony was born, and was included on a compilation CD that I made for the kid to help him sleep. No doubt I will listen to it tomorrow.

And when the evening news wraps up with their story on the anniversary, I'm sure I'll still shed a tear or two.

No comments: