Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Bonus Entry for December 7, 2004

Yay! Today you get 2 entries!

A few years ago I bought an Archos Jukebox MP3 FM Recorder (no link - it's outdated) to store my downloaded and ripped music. With 20GB of storage, the thing's outstanding. It's been dropped many times and still manages to play. It can also be used as a hard drive, which has come in handy when transferring files.

I recently upgraded to an Archos AV140 and gave my wife the old one. She doesn't have as much music as I do so it suits her fine. The AV140 has 40GB of storage and can record videos as well. Sort of like a mini-TiVo, minus the $4.95 monthly fee.

I'd been thinking about one of these for quite some time now, and I'd considered all manufacturers (iRiver, Creative, etc.) My old Archos gave me such good luck that I thought I'd stay loyal to the brand. I don't regret it. These things, called anything from Portable Media Centers to Personal Video Players, are going to be hot. They have to be if Apple is upgrading their iPods to playback photos.

Speaking of which...

iPod Photo - 40GB, no video playback or recording, stores photos: $499.
Archos AV140 - 40GB, video playback/recording, portable HD, remote control, digital camera capable, FM-radio capable: $299.

Hmmm.

Anyway, I've ripped some DVDs to it and have recently been recording The Venture Brothers with it.

I thought I'd try some screencaps with the thing, so here's a sample:


Dr. Orpheus offers Hank and Dean some pizza rolls in "Return to Spider-Skull Island"

This was all I was able to do because my dumb ass forgot the charger for the MP3 player at work, so it only had enough juice to record the show and playback for only a few minutes. I can try some more tomorrow.

I think it looks damn good myself!

No comments: