Monday, November 01, 2004

Poorly Drawn Together

Being a writer, I hate reality shows. But I was a fan of the first season of MTV's The Real World back in the 90s. It was something new back then, before the airwaves were saturated with them.

That said, I watched a show last night on Comedy Central called Drawn Together. It is billed as the "first animated reality show" and from what I saw on the website, seemed interesting.

But that's about all that was interesting.

The show is based on animated characters from different genres: A 20s Betty-Boop-style character, a Pokemon-ish animal, the goody-goody Disney-esque princess, etc. Like The Real World, they are selected to live together and we are subjected to seeing what happens.

So what happened?

The animated Internet pig (voiced by Adam Carolla) routinely micturated on anything or anyone it pleased, and the princess and the girl who looked like a Josie and the Pussycats reject exchanged a long, passionate kiss in the hot tub. Aside from that, the other conflicts, if they were even so, weren't exactly amusing.

What makes this show unbearably painful to watch is that it has no likeable characters. Each is as annoying as the next and I wanted to strangle every one of them after the first 5 minutes. I understand what the creators are trying to accomplish or what their concept was meant to be like, but it just didn't work for me. I'd rather watch Family Guy and if you know me, that's really saying something.

If you want to watch a funny animated show, give Cartoon Network's Adult Swim show The Venture Bros. a try.

Any show that makes references to Depeche Mode is alright by me.

No comments: