Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. Hope you enjoyed your day.

Here's a shot of what Anthony, Ann and I did today:


There was an event at Dodger Stadium today called "Father's Day Catch" where kids and fathers alike were allowed to play catch on the outfield grass for a limited time.

Now I've been on the field at Anaheim Stadium plenty of times, but this was Dodger-Friggin-Stadium here. The history is amazing. Vin Scully's call of Kirk Gibson's 9th inning home run in the 1988 World Series..."High fly ball hit into deep right field...she is GOOOOONNEE!" Fernandomania. Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey. And here we were, on the same field under the beautiful California sun.

I propped Anthony on my shoulders and ran from the centerfield entrance towards first base. I wish I could have had a picture of the smile that was on my face. He giggled as he bounced in a moment I'll never forget. I almost got all choked up.

Here I am giving Anthony a rundown on things. That's my old jersey that I wore when I played in an adult baseball league:



We were given free, soft baseballs to use. I can't image the havoc using real baseballs would have caused.

This event was followed by lunch at the original McDonald's in Downey, CA:



Now you might think that eating at McDonald's was kind of odd for Father's Day. Well, not really. Today was also our 12th wedding anniversary, and this is where Ann and I went to eat after our first date at Golf N' Stuff, also in Downey, CA. So there is some significance.

On Saturday I took Anthony to see my dad for the first time. I printed a picture that he could leave for him. He's holding it in his hand:





He pulled some of the flowers off and placed them there. I also gave him the "tour" of the cemetary, visiting my grandfather and grandmother as well.

For all the joy Father's Day gives me, it still hurts.

No comments: