Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Dead Singer's Society

Ann and the kid met me for lunch today. We went to Sonic in Anaheim, which is the only one in the area that I know of. The rest are all in California cities that frequently show up on “COPS.”

At any rate, it was unusually quiet there today. By that I mean there was no music coming through the speakers as it normally does. Almost too quiet.

Once we got our order the music was turned on. I was surprised to hear Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust” as Dick Dale’s surf tunes are what usually come spewing from the speakers.

That song was followed by Big Country’s “In A Big Country.” Curious, I thought. Two 80’s songs, two dead lead singers. What could be next? My curiosity piqued. I told Ann that it would be funny if some INXS song was next. Because, you know, since Michael Hutchence offed himself in a sad way looking for that new sensation…

It was an 80’s song, but Pat Benatar’s “We Belong.” Bah, the trifecta was not complete.

Or was it?

While chomping through my burger, I heard a familiar beat begin. It was, no shit, “Devil Inside” by INXS. We laughed. I couldn’t think of any more dead singers from the 80’s so I guess it was endgame at this point.

The Motels’ “Only the Lonely” was up next. A good tune nonetheless.

Then it happened. Again.

To wrap things up, Oingo Boingo’s “Dead Man’s Party” came on. A good end to what was a strange playlist.

When we heard Musical Youth’s “Pass the Dutchie” we knew it was time to grab our Cherry Limeaids and go.

So a head's up goes out to Martha Davis and Pat Benetar: Watch your back, ladies.

No comments: